Family Day

13 Apr

Because of our last experience with being late, we decided to be VERY early this time.  We showed up to our agency 45 minutes early. My stomach was in a ball of knots.  Dave and I were nervous, the boys were anxious.  I felt like I was going to pass out. We walked around and video taped and took pictures around the agency and just waited.  Right when this was taken, a new family passed by with their precious baby. 10 minutes later, I was in the bathroom listening to a foster mother sob and sob and sob.  Broke my heart.

At about 8 minutes before our scheduled time, we were going to push the elevator doors when this beautiful little woman walked in the front door.

She was as shy as could be and didn’t really want to touch, look or be around us at all. But if her Umma’s were around, she was OK.  Quiet, shy, but OK.

She was dressed like a princess! Her outfit and coat were a gift from her host mother.

They wanted us to hang out for awhile, but they didn’t have a room for us, so we went out on a little patio and she shared some of her snacks with us.  This is the moment we realized what a sharer she is.  She would give away all but one or two of her candies.  We have then since learned that it’s food and drinks in general. She will not eat all of anything. And she will not stop until we have all had some of what she is having.

Once a room opened up, they put is in this teeny room with baby toys to play with.  At this point she was still very quiet and shy, but thank goodness for the boys who, in no time, had her laughing!

Seung Joo had to get a little dr. checkup before we left and our social worker gave us all of our paperwork. Right after, we asked if we could go see the baby home full of newborns.  Right when we got off the elevator, Seung Joo was there at the door opening, done with her doctors.  And then, it was time to say goodbye to her caretakers.  No warning, no preparation, just goodbye.

She didn’t cry though. Waved and said goodbye, but did not cry.  I did.  They did.  I think even Logan may have teared up.  😦 Hard stuff right here.

We then went on to see the baby room.  There were about 20 babies in the room right now waiting for a foster family. It was tiny! And the nurses were working so very hard. Seung Joo lived here on and off for her first 9 months of life.

We had one last stop up to get our stuff and say goodbye to Seung Joo’s social worker.

And then, we walked out. Simple as that.

Our first day together was not all roses, though it was pretty amazing. She shut down several times, didn’t want ANYTHING to do with Dave or I, followed L and M around for safety, but all in all, it was more than we could ask for.  She ate, she laughed, she played and she slept!  And we prayed for her little heart to heal.


4 Responses to “Family Day”

  1. shasamdrew April 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

    Tears here!!! So happy for your family and hoping that with time, Coralie will open up more and more. Enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travels home!

  2. Stephanie - co-administrator of WAGI April 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

    Big stuff happening here. So thrilled for all of you and for how it is all unfolding. Blessings on your family and the rest of your travels! Thanks for keeping us up to date!!

  3. Anne Pirlot April 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

    Incredibly bittersweet. Time to get her home and into your “cocoon!” Safe travels!! 🙂

  4. Dena April 14, 2012 at 1:37 am #

    Now I’m crying. Thanks for sharing the story of your family’s special day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: